Webinar Recap – Ask Me Anything with Eric Yuan & Zoom Leadership: July 21
In this month’s “Ask Me Anything” webinar hosted by Zoom CEO, Eric S. Yuan, we provided an update on our progress since our last executive session on June 30th, 2021.
Eric was joined on the webinar by Robert Mews, Senior Product Manager; Wei Li, Head of Zoom Events; and Cynthia Lee, Lead Product Manager for Zoom Rooms. Brendan Ittelson, Chief Technology Officer, joined us for the Q&A session.
If you missed this month’s session, you can watch the recording here:
Company updates & launches
1:18-5:51: Eric began the webinar by highlighting company updates and new and exciting product launches:
- Webinar format update: With 25 of these webinars under our belt since April 2020, we’re going to transition from a monthly to a quarterly format, and the next webinar will take place in October. We are as committed as ever to continuing to share important security information through our blog posts, support pages, and more.
- Exciting product launches: Zoom Apps and Zoom Events: Just yesterday we launched Zoom Apps, a new type of in-product integration that lets you bring your favorite apps right into your Zoom meetings, as well as Zoom Events, our all-in-one platform with the power to create virtual experiences that attendees will love. Eric provided more detail on Zoom Apps, while Wei discussed Zoom Events in-depth later in the webinar.
- Zoom Apps privacy and security: Zoom’s commitment to promoting privacy, security, and transparency extends to Zoom Apps. Here’s how:
- Applications that we plan to integrate with the Zoom platform must undergo a review process intended to help maintain customer security and resilience of the ecosystem.
- Zoom provides account owners and admins with privacy and security tools and support throughout the Zoom Apps experience.
- The listing page for each Zoom App on the Zoom App Marketplace identifies the types of data and information a particular app can access when an account owner or user installs the app.
Active Apps Notifier
5:52-7:51: Robert talked through the recent launch of a new Zoom feature, the Active Apps Notifier. Since many apps in Zoom’s app ecosystem require some meeting information to be shared in order to function properly, we want to empower users to make informed decisions in context about if and how they participate in those collaborations. Our new Active Apps Notifier feature is an in-meeting notification that lets meeting participants know when third-party apps used by other participants in the meeting are accessing audio, video, or chat content.
There is also the Active Apps Notifier Report tool that helps account owners and admins see and manage the apps that have accessed account users’ meeting content during a meeting hosted by the account in the past 30 days.
7:52-14:55: Wei spoke to the exciting launch of Zoom Events, a one-stop shop for virtual event creation. She explained how Zoom Events supplements our existing Zoom Video Webinars and OnZoom product offerings, highlighting new features that help make Zoom Events unique, including:
- Event hubs
- Event pages, ticketing, and registration
- Multi-session events
- Event lobby
- Event reporting
- Security settings
- Each attendee that registers for an event will receive a unique ticket.
- While attendees do not need to have a paid account, they will have to sign up on Zoom to join events.
- To join an event, attendees will have to log in to Zoom with the same account they used to register for the event.
- Attendees must also be on the latest Zoom client in order to use Zoom Events.
Zoom Rooms & security
14:56-19:20: Cynthia walked through our Zoom Rooms solution, which is designed to empower workers wherever they are, streamline collaboration between in-office and remote workers, and make the transition back into the office as seamless as possible. Zoom Rooms come with intuitive features designed to support hybrid workforces and promote our customers’ security.
Check out this blog with a list of Dos and Don’ts for more information on securing your Zoom Rooms.
Whether you attended this month’s session live or watched after the fact, thank you for your interest in learning about our advances in security and privacy! We’re continually evolving our efforts to help make the Zoom experience seamless, safe, and secure for every user.