CEO Announcement: Zoom Partners with Sequoia in $100 Million Funding Round & Releases Zoom 4.0
Dear Zoom Community,
Today we announced that Zoom has raised $100 million in Series D funding from Sequoia, with additional participation from Emergence Capital, Jerry Yang’s AME Cloud Ventures, and Qualcomm Ventures. We also announced the launch of Zoom 4.0, a new release featuring leading-edge innovations for enhanced enterprise functionality.
By addressing the huge market demand for cloud-based video conferencing, Zoom is seizing a leadership position and filling the void created by the industry’s fading legacy providers. With this support from Sequoia, we will develop revolutionary products and features such as virtual reality, augmented reality, and the Zoom Developer Platform; expand internationally; and grow our sales and marketing teams.
Why did Sequoia invest in Zoom? I asked Carl Eschenbach, partner at Sequoia and new member of our Board of Directors, to answer that for himself during a recent Zoom video meeting:
Over the coming weeks we will use this blog to give you all the details on Zoom 4.0. In the meantime, here are the highlights:
- New Zoom Developer Portal and Zoom MobileRTC™ Platform – Developers can embed video, voice, and screen sharing in business applications. Zoom MobileRTC enables businesses to leverage Zoom’s real-time collaboration stack for their mobile applications.
- Enhancements to Software-Based Conference Room System Zoom Rooms:
- Zoom Rooms controller app for Android tablets (In addition to the current support for iPad controllers).
- Enhanced enterprise management functionality for Zoom Rooms: Creating groups of rooms allows IT to assign access controls and alerts to IT managers by location, and makes it easy to configure multiple rooms as a batch.
- Voice command to control Zoom Rooms: Start a meeting with a simple verbal command “Hey Zoom, start meeting.”
- New Features for Better Collaboration and Webinar Experiences:
- Multi-share: Ability for multiple participants to share their screens simultaneously.
- Attention indicator: Gives the meeting host instant feedback on who is paying attention.
- Waiting room: Protects privacy by allowing the meeting host to control when participants join their meeting.
- Integrations with iOS 10: Ask Siri to “Start a Zoom video call with….” and your meeting will automatically begin. Receiving Zoom calls with the native iPhone user interface is as easy as swiping your home screen.
- Broadcast your Video Webinars to Facebook Live and YouTube: Instantly broadcast up to 50 video panelists to an unlimited audience.
We are so happy to partner with Sequoia for this exciting new phase of growth for our company. We will continue to focus on making the best, most reliable service for you, our customers. You have made everything we do at Zoom possible, and we are so grateful for your support.
Eric S. Yuan
Founder and CEO of Zoom