Zoom Enhances Features for Healthcare Customers
Zoom’s HIPAA-compliant healthcare license has helped providers, hospital administrators, and health systems use video in amazing ways, from conducting virtual doctors’ visits to connecting medical communities. We’re excited to announce enhancements that will enable our healthcare customers to communicate even more efficiently with Zoom.
Our expanded offering gives healthcare organizations and providers access to more HIPAA-compliant features and capabilities — along with the ability to customize what features you allow or disable within your network.
New enhancements — and how they help you
Organizations with a Zoom for Healthcare license can now access features and products like Zoom Chat, cloud recording for clinical applications, and Zoom Phone under Zoom’s updated business associate agreement (BAA). This means you can leverage more of the Zoom platform, while still maintaining privacy, security, and compliance.
With Zoom’s BAA license, you can:
- Enable Zoom Phone, our cloud VoIP phone solution featuring secure HD voice; call forwarding, recording, and delegation; and voicemail transcription
- Use Zoom Chat to quickly and securely communicate with colleagues onsite or on the go
- Record Zoom sessions to the cloud
- Provide a secure location for patient health information and reporting on the administrator dashboard
What’s more, administrators have the flexibility to turn these settings on and off at the organization level depending on your specific policies. This allows you to give employees what they need when they need it, without worrying about granting access to unnecessary features.
Protecting privacy & security
Healthcare providers need to trust in the technology they’re using in order to meet HIPAA standards. Here are just a few safeguards that can help you protect the security and privacy of protected health information (PHI):
- Data in motion is encrypted at the application layer using 256-bit AES-GCM encryption
- When enabled, Zoom’s advanced chat encryption allows for a secured communication where only the intended recipient can read the secured message
- Other features allow you to control session attendee admittance with individual or group entry, Waiting Rooms, required meeting passcodes, and locked room functionality
Compliance in an evolving world
The demand for telehealth — and the need to be confident when working with data that contains PHI — is increasing, so it’s important for providers and healthcare organizations to have the tools they need to stay connected and compliant, now and in the future. Our platform enhancements are part of our commitment to enabling virtual care delivery, medical innovation, collaboration, education, and research, as unique healthcare applications and use cases continue to evolve.
Editor’s note: This blog post was edited on Aug. 3, 2021 to include the most up to date information on Zoom encryption.