Zoom Phone, New Meetings Experience, Conference Room Enhancements, and Integrations Now Generally Available
This blog post was updated on March 3, 2019 to reflect the name change of Zoom Voice to Zoom Phone.
Today Zoom announced that we have delivered on key promises of our Zoomtopia 2018 product keynote with general availability of highly anticipated new features and functionalities across our unified video communications platform.
After extensive beta testing with dozens of companies, Zoom Phone is now generally available to Zoom customers. Zoom Phone is a cloud phone system available as an add-on to Zoom’s platform. Support for inbound and outbound calling through the public switched telephone network (PSTN) and seamlessly integrated telephony features enable customers to replace their existing PBX solution and consolidate all of their business communication and collaboration requirements into their favorite video platform. Zoom Phone is now generally available to US and Canadian customers with more than 50 employees. The service will roll out globally to all businesses and broader geographies over 2019. “Zoom Phone is the innovative, modern phone system of the future and exactly what we’ve all been waiting for. The number of exciting new features that keep rolling out is impressive. The unified app experience is easy for end users and we are excited to deploy it more broadly to our employees,” said Steven Mandelbaum, VP of business solutions at EAB.
Zoom has refreshed the desktop user experience of its flagship Zoom Meetings service – the app is now even more modern, sleek, and frictionless. New features available for this service include:
- New desktop experience and features – Zoom’s desktop app is now one window instead of two, with personal and group chat channels, starred messages, and contacts, as well as customizable notifications and preferences
- Virtual background without green screen – Zoom allows users to display any image as their background during a Zoom Meeting, creating a professional appearance and expressing their personality. Mac i7, iPhone 8, iPad Pro 5, iPad 9.7, and all later models for these devices no longer require a green screen to use this feature. Zoom will support virtual background without a green screen for Windows by the end of Q2 2019. (Other desktop devices support virtual backgrounds with green screens)
- 1080p video – now available to Zoom Business and Enterprise users with high-performance PCs. This feature is limited availability. For qualifying customers who would like to be considered for this feature, please contact Zoom Support.
- Audio signature – this security feature adds an ultrasonic watermark to audio streams to identify the source of any leaked audio
Watch our overview video here:
Conference Rooms and Workspaces
Zoom’s conference room offerings include software-based meeting room solution Zoom Rooms, SIP/H.323 bridge Conference Room Connector, as well as extension products, Digital Signage and Scheduling Display. Available by the end of January 2019 for Zoom conference rooms and workspaces:
- Zoom Rooms enhanced interoperability support – enable one-click to join with HD audio and video for third-party meeting invitations, with automatic SIP/H.323 URI parsing
- Redesigned Zoom Rooms administrator portal – enhanced usability and new enterprise management functionalities, such as additional room alerts, remote management capabilities, and room type filter
- Zoom Rooms for Touch – support for dual screens (one touch, one non-touch), multiple-page whiteboards, and blackboard (light and dark background options)
- Usability enhancements – Zoom Rooms now features waiting room and webinar raise hand
- 1080p support for Zoom Rooms video and content sharing – This feature is limited availability. For Zoom Business and Enterprise customers who would like to be considered for this feature, please contact Zoom Support.
Zoom’s App Marketplace brings together integrations built by Zoom and third-party developers, making it easy for customers and developers to extend Zoom’s platform with new functionalities. Among the new integrations released are Zoom for Hubspot (native integration), LinkedIn Sales Navigator, and Theta Lake.
“We made big promises at Zoomtopia 2018, and I’m proud that our team has delivered on them with incredible new features and products that significantly enhance our unified video communications platform,” said Oded Gal, head of product management for Zoom. “Our goal is to create frictionless, end-to-end communications experiences for our customers. Adding cloud PBX, refreshing our desktop interface, developing new conference room functionalities, as well as releasing more integrations all serve to do just that.”
Zoom customers may contact Zoom or update their Zoom client to experience the new features and products. SaaStr 2019 attendees can visit Zoom at booth #601 and hear our CEO, Eric S. Yuan, speak in the sessions “Doing It Again, But With Happiness as a Mission: The Secrets of Zoom” (Feb. 5 at 3:25 pm) and “Q + A with Eric Yuan, Founder and CEO of Zoom” (Feb. 5 at 4:10 pm).